The Tony Award-winning Broadway production of August Wilson’s Jitney will receive an additional six performances during its run at Arena Stage. Under the direction of Tony Award-winner Ruben Santiago-Hudson, the production now runs through October 27, 2019 in the Kreeger Theater.
Jitney is the dramatic story of a Pittsburgh jitney station, a symbol of stability, that struggles against an oppressive lack of opportunity and unnerving neighborhood gentrification threatening the way they live and work. The drivers resist powerful forces while coming to grips with their pasts to fulfill their own hopes and dreams for the future.
Tickets may be purchased online at arenastage.org, by phone at 202-488-3300 or at the Sales Office at 1101 Sixth Street, SW, D.C.
Critical acclaim for August Wilson’s Jitney, Winner of the Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play:
- “An almost superhuman feat… Jitney demonstrates August Wilson’s mastery of comedy. Consistently funny and absorbing.” – Washington Post
- “Fabulous actors…blew me away… burst-out-loud humor in Pulitzer-Prize winning playwright August Wilson’s great American storytelling. NOT TO BE MISSED.” – DC Metro Theater Arts
- “Glorious. Conversation hits heaven smack in the clouds.” – New York Times
- “Should be at the top of any D.C. theatergoer’s list.” – MD Theatre Guide
- “Glorious. A gem of a play. Timely and Timeless.” – Entertainment Weekly
- “A Thrilling soul-sustaining piece.” – Time Out New York
- “Superb. Mythic. Grounded in grit and joy.” – Hollywood Reporter
- “Director Ruben Santiago-Hudson’s 2017 staging of Jitney won the Tony Award for best revival, and it’s not difficult to see why… I’ve rarely seen an audience rise to give a standing ovation so quickly.” – Brightest Young Things
Jitney was produced on Broadway by Manhattan Theatre Club in association with Eric Falkenstein, Ron Simons, John Legend/Mike Jackson and Ken Wirth.
Jitney is generously sponsored by Dr. Donald Wallace Jones, Dr. Betty Jean Tolbert Jones and Tracey Tolbert Jones.
Jitney is a part of Arena Stage’s August Wilson Festival. Additional information regarding festival events can be found by visiting here.
ABOUT: August Wilson’s Jitney opens Arena Stage’s season-long Festival celebrating the Pulitzer Prize-winning giant with Ruben Santiago-Hudson directing his 2017 Broadway production — recipient of the 2017 Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play. The dramatic story of a Pittsburgh jitney station, a symbol of stability, struggles against an oppressive lack of opportunity and unnerving neighborhood gentrification that threatens the way they live and work. The drivers resist powerful forces while coming to grips with their pasts to fulfill their own hopes and dreams for the future. Arena Stage’s presentation kicks off the National Tour of one of this great master’s masterpieces.
Connect with us: